The Canon AE-1 Program is a killer SLR camera great for anyone who is just getting into film photography or a seasoned photographer looking for a classic camera.
- 35mm SLR (Single-Lens-Reflex) camera with electronically controlled AE (Automatic Exposure) and focal plane shutter.
- Canon FD series interchangeable lenses with full aperture metering and AE coupling. Canon FL series with stopped-down metering.
- Standard lenses for the Canon AE are Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C, Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C, Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 S.C
- The S.C. refers to the lens' single coating, which Canon called Spectra Coating. The lens mount is FD, which is the same for both the TX and the AE-1, so yes, they are interchangeable. Multi-coated lenses were labeled "S.S.C." for Super Spectra Coating.
The Canon AE-1 is about as classic as 35mm cameras get.
Check the video of this camera in action:
- Canon Breech-Lock mount, Canon FD, FL, and R lenses can be used. The viewfinder is fixed eye-level pentaprism with a field of view that is 93.5% vertical and 96% horizontal coverage of the actual picture
- Viewfinder information includes an aperture scale with meter needle and stopped-down metering which also serves as a battery charge level checkmark.